Edentulism is a persistant ailment associated with considerable rates of morbidity and health issues.
Rehabilitating edentulous maxilla when competent bone is present is well handled with conventional implants.But the real problem is with severely atrophied jaw bones.
During the preceding three decades various surgical Procedures have been refined to escalate the local bone volume in anatomical regions where the bone volume is scarce, but they posed an array of annoyances such as multitudinal surgical interventions and the use of extra oral bone from donor sites [iliac crust/ skull].
To conquer such inhabitions different therapeutic substitutes such as Pterygoid and Zygomatic implants have evolved.
Zygomatic implants are a graft less treatment remedy for extremely resorbed Maxilla and is a substitute for conventional bone grafting and only solution for implants where maxillary bone is completely resorbed,these are a substitute to traditional implants.
In contrast to the bone grafting procedures, treatment with zygomatic implants Suggests minimal invasive surgery, concised treatment time, instant loading and restoration choice, low maintenance,better cure,less recovery time with no donor site morbidity and superior success rate.
It is a very precise process and demands concrete diagnostic treatment planning.
- Extremely atrophic maxilla.
- Unsuccessful conventional implant placement.
- Congenital or aquired defects.
- Restoration after trauma / tumour resections.
- In syndromic patients.
Its placement is identical to that of conventional implants and the approach can be
- Extra sinus
- Intra sinus
- Extended sinus depending on the patients anatomical situation. Longer implants are used which are anchored in the strong cortex of the zygoma bone providing stronger anchorage. Whereas conventional implants are anchored in the jaw bone.
Usually one implant on either side of the maxilla along with four to six conventional implants are required for a full upper arch Rehabilitation, but in case of completely resorbed maxillary bone where there is no scope for the conventional implants, two zygoma implants on each side of the maxilla will be imperative for complete fixed restoration of the maxilla.
- Graft less solution in severely atrophied maxilla
- Immediate loading
- Considerably less uneasiness
These implants contribute to multi cortical anchorage allowing Instant loading on implants.
It is a very precise process and demands concrete Diagnostic Treatment Planing.
- Sinusitis, which can be averted by pre surgical assesment of sinus and extra sinus Surgical approach and immediate loading of implants.
- Other complications include:
- Infra orbital nerve parasthesia
- Oro antral fistula
These can be definitely prevented by following proper surgical protocols.Contact Us for more details