What are Dental Veneers?
Known to be great alternative for the Dental Braces, Veneers are custom designed thin shells of porcelain or composite resin that are made to fit on the surface of the teeth. The basic application of the veneers is to cover the front surface of the teeth and change the appearance factors such as shape, size, and color of the damaged teeth.These can be installed within one day and the procedure is a relatively simple and painless one compared to most dental procedures.
Who Needs Veneers?
Veneers can be opted by patients who are facing any of the following irregularities or problems with the teeth structure
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Abnormal spacing between the teeth
- Stained, Discolored, or Yellowing teeth
- Uneven teeth
- Worn down teeth
Types of Veneers
Depending on the type of material used in designing a veneer, these are categorized into
- Porcelain Veneers
- Composite Veneers or Composite Resin
Made of material porcelain, these are thin customized pieces made to fit on the surface of the tooth. Porcelain Veneers are known for making the damaged tooth look strong, natural, and match the shape of the tooth structure ideally. These are highly popular especially among the elderly those who have damaged tooth due to natural causes like ageing. This procedure usually takes a maximum of two visits.
The General Procedure
- Our expert dentist will remove a thin portion of enamel from the surface of the tooth on which the veneer is to be placed.
- After this removal, an impression of the teeth is taken to get an accurate measure of size and shape of the tooth
- This impression is sent to our laboratory and is used to design the customized veneer for your tooth
- Once the veneer is designed and ready, our expert dentist would place the veneer on the surface of the teeth and is made to bond with resin cement or adhesive
- Any residue or cement around the veneer area is removed and the it is thoroughly flossed
- There will be one final check by our dentist to see if the veneer is properly installed and ensure that you are not facing inconvenience or discomfort
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
- Highly durable and can last life-long with proper care
- Highly resistant to stains that can be caused due to smoking or drinking alcohol or dense colored liquids or beverages
- These are smooth compared to composite resin
- Enables strong and natural appearance to the teeth
These are different from the porcelain veneers in a number of characteristics. These are the basic features of Composite Resin Veneers and comparisons with the Porcelain Veneers
- Unlike Porcelain Veneers which may require two visits as the tooth impression must be sent to the lab to get a customized veneer, this procedure can be accomplished in a single visit
- A bonding agent is applied to the tooth surface after taking a thin layer of enamel to ensure strong fusion of the resin with the tooth surface
- No additional bulk or element is added to the teeth
- After the application of the bonding agent, the composite resin is added on the surface of the tooth
- After the placement of resin, a couple of procedures called light-curing and polishing are implemented to finish off the process.
- This procedure is less costly when compared to Porcelain Veneers.
Caring for your Veneers
In order to ensure good durability of the dental veneers, there are certain measures you have to take care of even after the placement of veneers.
- Brush them thoroughly twice a day just like you do for your natural teeth
- Floss every night before you retire for bed
- Clean your mouth thoroughly every time you drink eat to ensure there are no particles left between the teeth
- Limit the consumption of coffee, avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking, and certain foods that can cause stains on the teeth
- Avoid excessive biting or chewing of hard foods
- Go for a check-up at least once every 6 months to ensure veneers are in good shape and health
Veneers at LBR
Consult LBR Dental and Implant Center for top class and affordable porcelain veneers for a magical transformation of your teeth in just one day.Contact Us for more details