Pros and Cons of Teeth whitening
Frustrating stains taking a toll on your pearly whites? If yes, then you are not alone. Almost each one of us desire for whiter and brighter teeth. But even with brushing and flossing consistently, with time, many people note a change in the shade of their teeth. Today, a great deal of options are accessible for people to brighten their teeth. In any case, without understanding the pros and cons of teeth whitening, it is hard to settle on a safe choice about whether to whiten.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a bleaching treatment that helps lighten up the shade of the teeth to make it look cleaner and healthier. It might be performed through a take-home or an in-office procedure; and the results may vary depending on the way you chose, but it can make your teeth upto 8 shades lighter. Isn’t that amazing!
Why do we need teeth whitening?
The pellicle, a thin covering on the enamel of the teeth after chewing, gets stained due to the food and drinks that we consume. The enamel additionally has pores that holds the stains. The common causes of teeth discoloration can be :
a). Excess of coffee, cola, wine, etc
b). Chewing and smoking tobacco.
c).Poor oral hygiene
a). Medications ( like Tetracycline antibiotics)
c). tooth injury (accidents/sports injury),
d). aging (enamel gets thinner & darker).
Factors to consider while choosing a teeth whitening method:-
- Kind of discoloration
- Treatment cost
- Treatment technique
- Dental history, including fillings and crowns
- Whiter and brighter teeth that boosts the patient’s self esteem.
- A more youthful look to the patient’s face.
- The tooth is perfectly preserved; only the surface is bleached to make it more beautiful.
- More versatile options are available today due to advanced technology.
- The professional method saves time.
- Less chances of damage to teeth or gums if a dentist does it.
- Relatively affordable, than crowns or veneers.
- Doesn’t change the color of existing fillings or crowns, causing uneven whitening of teeth.
- Needs periodic re-application, as it lasts a few months to a year.
- Tooth sensitivity may occur, which can last up to three to five days.
- Gum irritation may occur due to the ill-fitting whitening trays .
- Might not work on all teeth( non vital teeth)
What Are The Alternatives To Teeth Whitening?
- Whitening toothpaste: Those with the ADA seal are safe, but are ineffective on strong stains caused due to tobacco smoke or aging.
- At-home bleaching: This method uses trays or strips which fit onto the teeth. But needs proper supervision to get optimum results.
- Porcelain veneers: These completely cover the teeth along with flaws like chips, cracks, and gaps in the teeth.
- Bonding: A composite resin on the teeth by the dentist. It also covers up colours and flaws.
- Snap-On Smile: It is a customized set of teeth that fits on a patient’s set of teeth. It can completely transform a smile but causes thinning of the enamel and worsens the existing oral damage.
When to avoid?
- Children under 16 years
Dental problems to be treated before a teeth whitening procedure:
- Acid erosion
- Receding gums
- Gums sensitive to hydrogen peroxide
- Defective dental restorations like visible white fillings or crowns
- Tooth decay
Things To Remember About Teeth Whitening-
- The dentist needs to do a proper evaluation of your dental status followed by the agreed treatment plan.
- Despite the fact that treatment results vary, positive outcomes are unequivocal after the procedure.
- In some cases, it may take a few sessions to get the exact whiteness desired.
- The whiteness achieved relies upon the condition of the stains before the procedure, and also the lifestyle maintained after it. Strict dental hygiene is an absolute necessity for enduring outcomes.
- Extremely cold or hot food and beverages should be avoided for a few days after the procedure.
- In case of sensitivity, a desensitising toothpaste is recommended, twice a day.
- This technique doesn’t require sedation, and just takes a couple of hours in a dental clinic. You can return to work not long after the procedure too.
Strategies to avoid teeth discoloration:
- Avoid food and beverages that stain, like red grape juice, caffeinated drinks, etc. for two to three days.
- Use a whitening toothpaste, with hydroxyapatite.
Professional teeth whitening is safe and yields lasting outcomes over at-home treatments. You can appreciate a brilliant grin throughout the entire year and will get all the more blast for your buck. You can also opt for this procedure to brighten your smile, feel healthier, and more confident. If you’ve been considering whitening your teeth, let the experts at LBR dental handle it for you.
LBR Dental & Implant Center:
Experience a world class dental treatment at one of the best dental clinics in India. Our unique, affordable and efficient services have successfully treated thousands of national & international patients, specially from Australia, USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand & Gulf in the last two decades. Dr K.A.Reddy is an endodontist and certified implantologist. He completed his BDS and MDS from the prestigious govt. dental college & hospital, Hyderabad in 2001. If you are looking for the best dental implants in India, contact LBR Dental.
In case you are coming from outside Hyderabad, India, you will get an accurate estimate, support in travel & accommodation so that your dental tour becomes a pleasant recreation. For more info, visit www.lbrdentalimplants.com/contact-us/