What is Periodontics?
This is a branch of dentistry that deals with the identification and treatment of problems related to the structures that surround or support the teeth. The most notable dental problem that is concerned with Periodontics is “Gum Disease” or “Inflammation of Gums” or “Periodontal Disease”.
Periodontal Disease and Complications
This disease causes mild to severe inflammation to the gums and can result in the damage or loss of the bone that supports the teeth. If proper care and measures are not taken in time, this can lead to advanced periodontitis and also can affect other vital organs of the body. Apart from oral infections, it may cause diabetes and can also affect the functioning of the heart causing strokes and heart diseases.
Gum diseases may not show any immediate or obvious indications of its presence. Hence it is important to consult our expert dentist if you experience one or more of the symptoms below
- Frequent bleeding of gums while brushing or flossing
- Tender or swollen gums
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Consistent pain in the gums or teeth throughout the day
- Consistent bad breath in the mouth
- Visible abscess inside the mouth around the area of the gums
- Teeth that may seem loose or moving suddenly
- Gums that seem moving away from the teeth
- Pain while chewing or biting the food
- Sudden change and problem with properly fitting your dentures (if you’re using them)
What Causes Gum Disease?
The fundamental cause that leads to Gum Disease is the accumulation of “Dental Plaque”. Human teeth normally consists of certain amount of bacteria and these bacteria mix with particles like mucus and food debris to form the dental plaque. Usually, this dental plaque can be eliminated by thorough brushing and flossing daily. But in some cases, either due to presence of high amounts of bacteria or improper care, this plaque can harden and would be impossible to be eliminated by brushing. This hardened plaque is called “Tartar”. With time, this Tartar leads to the inflammation of gums and subsequently Periodontitis.
The following are some of the factors that can lead to the excess dental plaque and periodontitis
- Heavy smoking
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Improper brushing or flossing
- Hormonal changes, especially observed in women
- Physical as well as Mental stress
Stages and Diagnosis
Based on the stages or intensity of the problem, this is categorized into Gingivitis, Periodontitis, and advanced Periodontitis. The subsequent treatment procedure will also be depending on this intensity of the disease which will be determined by the expert Periodontist.
This is the first stage of the disease where we can observe mild inflammation of the gums and symptoms of moderate pain. At this stage, the bone structures surrounding the teeth are not yet affected and hence it can be cured relatively easily.
During this stage, the fibers and the bone supporting the teeth would be severely affected and needs utmost professional care to help you get rid of this disease. The treatment procedure can take longer time than that of Gingivitis and it also requires intense and improved personal hygiene to achieve complete cure.
This is a stage where the gums, bone structure, and fiber are irreversibly damaged and it requires removal of teeth. In such cases, our expert Periodontist will suggest alternate options that is installation of bridges or crowns with the help of implants.
The early stages of Gingivitis can be cured with a thorough cleaning and check-up under the supervision of our expert. In the case of advanced stage, there are a few procedures that may be needed which will be determined after a check-up and analysis.
- Severe gum infections and periodontal pockets can be treated by scaling and root planning procedures
- Dental plaque, tartar, and the food debris inside the tooth will be removed with an ultrasonic scaling device
- In order to remove high amounts of accumulated and hardened tartar, Laser treatment will be used sometimes
- Bone grafting and Gingival flap surgery may sometimes be applicable in order to restore the lost bone and to get rid of the Periodontal pockets respectively
Laser Treatment for Gum Diseases
The application of Laser in different treatments in dentistry has been growing exponentially since the past few years. Laser periodontal therapy is now one of the trending dental procedures in treating gum diseases across the globe. In this therapy, the diseased areas are accurately identified, targeted, and subsequently treated with laser beam under the supervision of expert Periodontist. Here’s the procedure involved in treating gum diseases with Laser.
- Dental laser is used to identify and remove the diseased or inflamed gum tissue which is present around the roots of the tooth
- Then the exposed root will be made to undergo the process of scaling which involves scrapping off the dental plaque and abscess that has been accumulated
- The uneven or rough spots are then smoothened and fixed to prevent any vulnerability to bacteria and other infections
- The roots and the gum are made to heal natural and the area between them is regenerated.
Benefits with Laser Treatment
- No necessity of local anesthesia which is common for most other dental procedures and surgeries
- No worries of additional complications or side effects as laser beam is used to target precisely the area which is affected
- Less bleeding, inconvenience, and pain when compared to other forms of periodontal procedures
- Faster healing and recovery process
Preventing Gum Diseases
Proper hygiene and regular care can help you prevent the occurrence of periodontal disease. All you need to do is follow the below simple measures
- Brush twice daily
- Floss once daily
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
- Ensure that there are not any food debris left between the teeth after eating and drinking
- Follow a well-balanced diet
- Go for dental check-up at least twice every year
Periodontics at LBR
Consult LBR Dental and Implant Center and easily get rid of the gum diseases and advanced periodontitis. Our experienced Periodontist, with the help of world class treatment equipment and effective dental procedures, will ensure that you are relieved of the disease permanently and enjoy perfectly normal and healthy teeth.Contact Us for more details